Saturday 16 May 2009

Day 2: St Austell to Okehampton

Shame it's bolted down...

Fred the seagull joined us for breakfast. That's when I realised that I'm cycling with a closet Twitcher. Apparently it's not a Seagull but a Herring Gull. Later I was made to note the Housemartins carrying the mud from the farm lanes to make their nests. No danger of boredom on this trip... First stop in Lostwithiel resulted in lots of attention (and donations) from the village elders - only notice from the younger generation was getting the V's from a kid on the school bus. Through Minions (highest village in Cornwall) then crossed into Devon at Horsebridge. More hills to Brentor (where started raining big time) and Lydford where got onto the Granite Way all the way to Okehampton, only stopping for a puncture where John showed his F1 pitstop skills to fix in record time. Joined there by the irrepressible Paul who (allegedly) had cycled from Exeter. Still have my doubts.

 

1 comment:

  1. It only started to rain when the taxi dropped me off just outside Okehampton!
    The short hop from Exeter confirmed to me that its not as much fun cycling on your own - I even started to bore myself

    ReplyDelete