Sunday 31 May 2009

Day 16: Carrbridge to Dunbeath

Reunited!

What a day! 6:30 and unable to get back to sleep, I upped and left knowing that I was still about 35 miles behind John. 3 hours later, after breakfast in Inverness, I gave John a call and told him of my progress. He'd only just started for today, so was more than happy to wait in Evanton for me to do the extra 10 miles to catch him up. I covered the distance with a couple of other end-to-enders that I met just N of Inverness, one of which didn't seem to be a happy bunny. He was looking forward to finishing much like 'getting out of prison'! In contrast, my joy at finding John outside the only coffee shop in town was fantastic. I don't think he was expecting the bear hug that I gave him, but neither of us could stop grinning for ages as we caught up on the last few days. Too soon, it was time to crack on but, despite my mornings efforts, it now seemed easier again. Found our first sign for John O' Groats - only 90-odd miles to go, and afternoon tea in Brora saw us chatting to (well, listening to) the life and times of who must have been the most celebrated ghillie in these parts. Got to Helmsdale at tea time, knowing that this was still 55 miles short of the end, so after a few phone calls to sort out accomodation, decided to do a further 15 miles tonight so that we'd be under less pressure tomorrow. Unfortunately, that 15 miles included the climb out of Helmsdale and then the Berridale Braes - a couple of significant hills that weren't what was needed at the end of such a long day. Still, did mean that I'd done over 100 miles in a single day for the first time ever (108), and that tomorrow I'd get to see my family!


No comments:

Post a Comment