Sunday 31 May 2009

Day 15: Killin to Carrbridge

Another good night's kip and I think I'm over the worst of this illness. Still can't face a cooked breakfast though, so porridge (and loads of sugar) will have to do. A spectacular first few miles alongside Loch Tay, and some familiar roads and hills (like Schiehallion) of previous holidays found me alongside the A9 by lunchtime. The NCN7 cycle route would follow this to Inverness and beyond, using old roads and paths that followed the new busy road and adjacent railway line. The climbs were, for a change, long and gentle and with health restored I could now at last look up and appreciate the stunning scenery, even in the drizzle. As the day wore on, so the weather (and my mood) improved. The scenery continued to amaze, with snow on some adjacent slopes, the sun was shining and I was feeling good. This was what I came on this trip for. Those cold, rainy days in mid-Wales, the dubious wonders of Liverpool, and that never-ending illness seemed like an age ago. For the first time in days, I believed again that I'd finish, and with that some added targets started forming. Could I catch up with John (wouldn't it be great if we could finish together?), and could we do so by Friday lunchtime, giving me the added bonus of then being able to get the ferries across to Orkney and Westray to meet Alison and the kids for the last day of their holiday. Stay calm though, still plenty of time for things to go pear-shaped... Evening found me in Aviemore for a chip supper, then pushed on to Carrbridge and another 80 miles done.


No comments:

Post a Comment