Wednesday 14 January 2009

The Later Years

So what do you do as you get older and your body starts to disintegrate? On hitting 30, give up the rugby and start jogging? Tried that, found that I was still rubbish at distance running but persevered until I could do a half-marathon. Then a marathon. 10 years and 3 marathons (16 or so halfs) later and the knees really are shot to bits. As my surgeon said after the last (of 3) knee operations, "You get one set of tyres in life, and yours are bald". So, gave up the jogging and started the rugby again. Now officially a Vet and ‘only here for the beer’, happy in the 4th team, although still keep getting dragged up to the 2nd team if I look the wrong way. STOP DOING THAT, I’m too old! Just when I was in need of another challenge, along came Damian and David with the London to Brighton cycle. They’d done it the year before and sold it as doable, 56 miles. Mostly flat, couple of little bumps, just the notorious Ditchling Beacon towards the end.