Sunday 18 January 2009

But it’s freezing out there !!

January’s here, and all of a sudden I’m doing the LEJOG this year. Better start doing something about it, even though it’s -4C outside. Wrapped up accordingly but made the apparently time-honoured mistake of not doubling up on socks and gloves. So no surprises when my extremities start to fall off. At least that’s what it feels like. Meet a bunch of older cyclists on the Hartfield to Groombridge cycle path who show me the error of my ways. Chat to one very pleasant chap in an Alpe d’Huez cap (he did that particular climb last summer). Discuss the weather, obviously, and communal baths, less obviously. Shame I don’t catch his name.
At what point do I actually start booking things? That really would make it all too real. On my ride today (it’s got warmer), start thinking of my start date (May 13th) like a smoker must think of the date that he’s going to give up. Once you tell people, that’s it, no going back. Right, only positive thoughts from now on. What if it rains...?